Greg Abbott, the GOP Governor of Texas, announced on Twitter that Biden poses an imminent threat to Americans’ Second Amendment rights after Biden revealed numerous gun control executive orders at the White House on Thursday.
Abbott proclaimed that Texas will “NOT allow” such measures to take a foothold in the state, adding that it is time to create legislation that transforms Texas into a Second Amendment “Sanctuary State,” which he will sign as soon at reaches his desk.
Biden is threatening our 2nd Amendment rights.
He just announced a new liberal power grab to take away our guns.
We will NOT allow this in TX.
It’s time to get legislation making TX a 2nd Amendment Sanctuary State passed and to my desk for signing. https://t.co/d4EydwmQnf
— Greg Abbott (@GregAbbott_TX) April 8, 2021
Biden’s executive orders consist of the following:
- Within the next 30 days, the DoJ will stop the presumed “proliferation” of ghost guns
- Within the next 60 days, the DoJ will also issue rules regarding clear labels for stabilizing braces, which can transform pistols into short-barreled rifles
- Within the next 60 days, the DoJ will also create examples of “red flag” legislation for states
- Within an unknown time frame, the Biden admin will invest in “community violence interventions”
- Within an unknown time frame, the DoJ will issue annual reports regarding trafficking of firearms
- Within an unknown time frame, Biden will enlist David Chipman to serve as the Director of the ATF (the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms)
- The President will enlist David Chipman to serve as director for the ATF (i.e., the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms)
On his part, Biden claims that “nothing” he is going “to recommend” will “[impinge] on the Second Amendment,” and he also blasted state governors’ arguments to the contrary as “phony.”
Biden proceeded to insist that “no amendment is absolute,” using the example of calling “fire” in a crowded movie theater for how the First Amendment presumably is not “absolute.”
However, Psaki, Biden’s White House Press Secretary, noted that Biden’s six executive actions are merely the beginning.